Tuesday 4 May 2010

With Sympathy

Sympathy cards are some of the hardest to make.  They have to take into account the sadness of the occasion yet somehow reflect the relationship between you and the recipient and, of course, their dear departed.  So it was with some trepidation that I returned to the Little Red Wagon challenge and their 'sympathy' theme this week.

But, as often happens, I realised that I needn't be worried about this delicate theme at all - after all, a sympathy card doesn't have to be dour or bland - and this is what I finally settled on:

Image: Isabella's Sketchbook, 'Waiting'

Papers:  October Afternoon, 'Thrift Shop'

Tools: (altogether now .....) EK Success Retro Floral Punches; Floral Punch leaf spray.

I love the gentle sadness of this image and I think it is perfect for a 'thinking of you' card.  If I was ever in the unfortunate position of being the recipient, I would be happy to know that special thoughts were coming my way.  I love the gentle colours and simple layout of this card and it gave me much pleasure to make it, almost envisaging it bringing some love to a troubled friend. 

Ooooh, sorry, got a bit deep there!  So, on to the practical stuff.  Coloured this image up with my trusty Copics and added some shadow with my Prismacolors.  It was easy to choose co-ordinating papers from my October Afternoon collection so there was no big decision needed there.  Then it just sort of made itself - that's why I'm so pleased with it.  Any card that kind of jumps on to the paper without too much thought always feels 'right'. I think the double matting behind the image really picks up and brings together the whole colour scheme.

Finishing touches were a couple of punched flowers and leaves, a nice rich blue ribbon and bow, a simple sentiment and a few pearls and there she was, done. 

I've missed the Little Red Wagon challenge for a couple of weeks now and I feel honour-bound to return.  It is one of my favourite and most regular challenges and it is only that life has got a little in the way that I've missed it for a while. 

Had a busy(ish) day today, if you can call eating lunch at our favourite bistro, followed by afternoon tea and scones at our favourite lavender farm being busy!  Yummy!  Still, all the fresh air we managed to get in between has certainly tired us out and it will have to be early to bed tonight so that I'm ready for work again tomorrow.  Don't even the long weekends go by so quickly?  I need to win the lottery (or at least buy a ticket)!

Happy crafting.
Photobucketxx

6 comments:

  1. Such a sweet card! I love all the flowers! Thanks for playing along with Little Red Wagon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peri this is beautiful as always! Great idea for a sympathy card, they always seem so hard to tackle! Must remember this image for the purpose!! LOL! Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not as adventuresome as you and make much more sedate sympathy cards but this is gorgeous and I think it totally works.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peri...gorgeous card! Congrats on it being featured in the challenge! ;D Diana

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to view my blog and would love you to leave a comment to let me know you stopped by. Many thanks.