Wednesday 26 May 2010

Isabella's Sketchbook Challenge - Memorial Day

Well, another week has passed by already - this year is speeding by!  Our challenge at Isabella's this week is to create a card or project for Memorial Day, which, as many of you will know, is a US holiday and a time to remember those who have lost their lives in the service of their country.  For those of you who, like me, know little (if anything) about Memorial Day and its origins, this link will help:

http://www.jacksjoint.com/memday.htm

Now, here in the UK, we honour our heroes in November, on Armistice Day:  I was all of a dither about what to do for this challenge, in that case.  However, as many in the US see this day as marking the start of the summer, holding cook-outs, BBQs and picnics, I decided to use this as my starting point.  We were also challenged to use our country's colours, but mine would be red, white and blue and I wanted to leave those for my American colleagues to use.  Therefore, I went back to the country of my birth, Wales, whose flag looks like this:

My colours became green, red and white - a lovely summery combination - and here's what I did with them:


Image: Isabella's Sketchbook, 'Picnic 3'

Papers:  October Afternoon

Template: Papertrey Ink, 'My Timeless Templates', 'Pack a Picnic'

Tools:  Martha Stewart Scallop Dot edge punch


Using this fantastic template (the large version), it is simple and quick to produce this gorgeous little picnic hamper, which is perfect for a mini-picnic lunch.

I coloured up Isabella's delightful image with my Copics and my Prismas, in the usual way, before matting it on to a bright red scalloped circle.  I had already decided that I wanted the kite to 'fly away' so I manipulated the image so that I could print the kite separately on this occasion.  I coloured the strings and paper-pieced the kite itself and then attached it using 3D foam pads for dimension.

Now, I had to put some little shot glasses in the bottom of the hamper so that I could prop up the food for this next photograph, but, believe me, the hamper is large enough to take a small picnic of a sandwich, a piece of fruit and (of course) some cake.  Ideal for packing for children on a birthday picnic, for example, or just to keep them happy having tea in the back garden in the summer!   It's such a cutie when it's finished with its little moveable handles. There's a lid, too, which is shown propped at the side in this photograph - handy for keeping out those stray picnic bugs!

We so enjoy seeing your cards every week and we'd love to see your Memorial Day projects so why not get crafty and enter Isabella's Challenge this week.  Don't forget, there are two Isabella's Sketchbook images up for grabs and a beautiful winner's badge for your blog!  You must use an Isabella's Sketchbook image in your entry and there are so many beautiful images to choose from over at Isabella's store.  I can't wait to see what you all come up with.  

Happy crafting.

Photobucketxx


This is not a post-script - it simply seems inappropriate to include it in the above post, which focusses on a less meaningful aspect of this important day. 

I send love and prayers for all of you who have suffered a loss in past and in present conflicts.
May your God bless you.

11 comments:

  1. Bleedin' wowsers!!!!! You are a PROJECT QUEEN! Officially now. It's absolutely gorgeous and I blame you if I now go and get some templates from Papertrey. Which I will, probably. Enbler, you!
    And I know already I won't be able to come up with anything half as gorgeous as you...aaarrgghhh.
    Hugs
    Annika

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is totally amazing, Peri! What a brilliant idea for this tough challenge. I love that you used the red gingham as your primary paper. You so totally ROCKED this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Peri, this is an absolutely stunning creation and post. Just love it. You really nailed this one. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is lovely! I have that template and haven't used it in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful picnic basket! I so love it! I am a gingham geek I think as I always grab that style of paper! I love how you coloured your beautiful image and added the kite! Perfect!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - this is so clever and so beautifully executed. I thought it was a wonderful card until I saw the second photo above. The colours work so well for this and the image is done so nicely.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute, cute and cute! Love that picnic basket. Very unique idea, I'd like to try it one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peri this is perfect! Great colouring and of course the gingham is SO picnic appropriate! Guess I'm gonna have to check out some templates..... Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. your project is absolutely darling! how precious to use this wonderful template for that cute digi! so so clever!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Peri, I am sorry that I have not got here sooner! Your coloring is amazing!!! It always takes my breath away! This little basket is just adorable!! See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! Perfect for family time holidays! Adorable "basket" and you colored a scene I'd like to jump into! ;D Diana Q

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to view my blog and would love you to leave a comment to let me know you stopped by. Many thanks.