Thursday 13 May 2010

Player of the Year!

We had some wonderful news earlier this week.  A friend of ours has a young son, 'C', who, through sheer grit and determination, has just won his soccer team's 'Player of the Year' award.  Great news, eh? And .... a brilliant excuse for a card!

Image: Mo's Digital Pencil, 'Soccer Boy'

Papers: October Afternoon, various

Other: Twill ribbon (a 'don't throw it away!' find, which originally held together a stack of tea towels!); silver boot brads from Papermania (unfortunately, two left feet!!!)


Isn't this image delightful?  He's a perfect little soccer player, and toooooo cute for words.

He was coloured with my Copics, of course and (altogether now ...) shaded with my Prismas! (You got it!)  The grass is perhaps a little long for a good soccer pitch but, hey, artistic licence!  Also, I coloured the soccer ball the 'wrong' way, i.e. I have more black than white, but I thought the other way around might be a bit washed out against the strong background.  Unbeknown to me, it appears that his away strip is a yellow jersey - how psychic must I be!?

I wanted something really bright and striking for background and this sheet from one of my October Afternoon 8 x 8 pads was just perfect.  I teamed it with a strip of starry paper and printed out and coloured a freebie 'Brilliant' star clip art.  The colours are slightly wrong in the photograph - the background for the star is actually a deep navy blue, not black, but I was losing too much of the other colour if I corrected it too much, so I left it as it was. 

Mmmmm, two left feet - hopefully 'C' didn't realise, as I put them at an angle to make it less obvious. 

I was going to stop at that - boy card and all that - but I couldn't help adding a bit of bling to emphasise his superstar status.  I used square gems (big more manly) and half outline the top left and bottom right of the two circles, and the card suddenly just 'popped'! 

Best of all, 'C' was absolutely delighted that someone had made him a 'proper card'.  Bless him. 

Thought I might enter this in the Cards for Men 'Outdoors'challenge as my second entry - hope that's allowed.  There doesn't seem to be anything in the rules to prevent me so, what the heck, I'll throw it in the mix. 

Happy crafting.
Photobucketxx

8 comments:

  1. Great card, Peri. Thanks for joining in with us again on Cards for Men. Wonderful colouring.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. He should love this. Two left feet and all - it is terrific.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Peri, your colouring is FABULOUS! I couldn't stop admiring this card. Such a gorgeous card for an active boy. I am sure the recipient will love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow fabulous card Peri, I do love him hes so cute. Thanks for joining us at Cards for Men, and good luck with the challenge. With hugs Shirleyxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is lovely
    like the footbal player

    karin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your coloring always just stuns me - so creative, fun and perfect! And you have an amazing talent for doing the masculine cards too, not over-embellishing is such an art!
    TFS
    Hugs
    Annika

    ReplyDelete
  7. another wonderful card. Thanks again for playing with us at Cards for Men and good luck with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so handsome.. He is going to love this card. I love your grass.. It looks real. This is another really great card Peri..

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to view my blog and would love you to leave a comment to let me know you stopped by. Many thanks.