Tuesday 27 April 2010

Could The Person Who Stole My Brain Please Return It!

Well, I'm having a really good start to the week.  Managed to miss two deadlines yesterday because I wasn't concentrating and now I've been convinced all day that it's been Wednesday.  I need my brain back!  Mind you, the reason is probably lack of sleep as I've not had much shut-eye over the past few days. 

Anyway, tonight's post is for this week's Cupcake Craft Challenge, which is 'Don't be square' -  no square cards allowed!  Oooooerrrr! That's a tricky one for me!

As it happens, this card came about purely by accident (see below) and became my entry:

Image: Isabella's Sketchbook, 'Beach Fun'

Papers: October Afternoon, various

Tools: EK Success border punch

This card went through quite a few incarnations before ending up as it is now.  Originally, it wasn't for this challenge: it was, in fact, a square card to begin with - same design but square.  Then I decided I didn't like all the 'spare' area around the top of the beach hut, so I trimmed off the corners to give the card a 'gable' shape. That didn't work either, so I eventually ended up cutting the top to follow the contours of the beach hut and, voila (can't find the accented 'a' on my keyboard), it just worked.  So I abandoned my original challenge and decided that this was now definitely not a square card and, therefore, was appropriate for the Cupcake challenge.  Ha!

There is method in my design: the card is actually heavily 3-dimensional but I forgot to take pictures from the side to show you this, and now the light has gone.  The different papers are supposed to be representative of the sea, sand, and flowery promenade, with dark blue (not black, which is how it looks) railings.  The beach hut has a separate fascia and a real door cut into the front, just for a little dimension. 

This fun image from Isabella's Sketchbook was perfect for what I originally set out to do but, actually, ended up being even more perfect for the final version.  I love the simple vintage feel of the image and it was just so easy to colour. 

So by happy accident, I now have a card to enter early in a current challenge - yaaaaay!

Happy crafting.
Photobucketxx

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I totally missed this one! Love the beach hut and would love to see this from the side!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow Peri...this is fantastic and such a brilliant design...the synchronised swimmers are fantastic! Thanks for joining in this weeks challenge at Cupcake :) Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that person also stole mine! Yikes, we have to get it back somehow.

    Peri... your card is darling. At least you didn't lose your creative mojo friend!! Hugs, Peggy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous work Peri, I love the fab design. Thanks for joining us at CCC.

    Liza x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's adorable and I've foud that some of my favorite cards were happy accidents. Love it.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to view my blog and would love you to leave a comment to let me know you stopped by. Many thanks.